Saturday, July 20, 2013

07.20.13 ~ morning light on trail peak

morning light ~ trail peak ~ by dawn chandler ~ oil on panel (en plein air) ~ 8 x 10 inches ~ copyright dawn chandler

One good thing about rainy weather out here, is that sometimes the clouds break. When that happens in the early morning, you can get some lovely rosy light and interesting tattered shapes in the clouds. I caught this when perched on the Cattle Headqurters' overlook early Wednesday morning.

Funny, in all my years staring at this mountain, I've never climbed it.
How about you Philmont readers? Anyone climb Trail Peak?


2 comments:

Darrel said...

My wife and I climbed it in 1972. It was a tough, but memorable climb made even more memorable by the thunderstorm that hit us while we were descending Lower Bonita Canyon. We managed to go through Abreu while some Scouts were parading around in their underwear. Carol just kept her pancho over her head and tried not to giggle too loud. We were newly weds working at the Ranch that year, we still laugh about it.

Dawn Chandler said...

Darrel ~

Thanks for sharing this wonderful, joyful memory. How cool is that? Glad my painting triggered a fond story. :)