step out into the day

 


step out into the day
by dawn chandler

24" x 24" ~ oil & mixed media on canvas ~ available via Etsy.

Recently I've been looking through my portfolio, drawing comparisons, noting connections and returning themes. Basically contemplating my work. It's funny but a few years ago I made the decision to begin a new painting series called CloudWalker. I set certain parameters for the series: They would all be focused on New Mexico skies, especially cloud, and be done on 24" x 24" canvas or panels. I've previously shared the first four of these in this folio [ Cloudwalker One, Two, Three, Four] But what's interesting to me is that in a way I started the series years earlier — with this painting, Step Out Into the Day. For it, too, is a 24" x 24" New Mexico-sky/cloud-centric painting.

Come to think of it, this is one of my earliest paintings where I use those loose swirling brushstrokes to suggest upward bird flight. Usually I use a dark color, to suggest crows or ravens (as in the upper right passage here). But down that center area I opted for silver. Hmm... Doves? Snowgeese? Ghosts or spirits?

The choice is yours.


Read more about this painting on Etsy.