third plein air painting of the new year ~ mild february afternoon on the rio grande

 

"Mild February Afternoon on the Rio Grande" original plein air landscape painting in oil by New Mexico artist Dawn Chandler.

mild february afternoon on the rio grande
by dawn chandler

5" x 7" ~ oil on panel ~ plein air ~ available

The first of February and I spent the afternoon on the Rio Grande at the Orilla Verde Recreation Area. It took me a while to find a vantage point that suited me, as it had to be a place where I could sit comfortably since my tiny paint box isn't designed for a tripod mount and standing. After driving around a while I realized I was being too picky and that I just needed to decide already. Finally I settled on a picnic table beside a tree next to a boating ramp. It was a good choice. Not another human in sight. As I sat there painting to the soft gurgle of the river suddenly a large bird emerged from the water. A moment later another identical bird plopped out of the water next to him. The shape of their heads was unusual, with spiky feathers sticking out of the back of their crown. My first sighting of the Red-breasted Merganser! A little later, at a different spot on the river, I noticed on the water a flock of several birds with black heads and large white circles on their malar region. I later learned it was the Common Goldeneye.