new mexico big sky vista, 2 ~ abiquiu afternoon anticipation

 

New Mexico Big Sky Vista, 2 – Abiquiu Afternoon Anticipation original oil painting by Santa Fe artist Dawn Chandler

by dawn chandler
oil on canvas ~ 24" x 36"

 

HAPPY SPRING! 

Here's a more "traditional" landscape painting to celebrate Spring Equinox — though based on how green the high desert is in this painting, I'd say it depicts midsummer more than late March. 

This is the second of a new series I've been working on this new year of larger "traditional" landscape paintings in oil celebrating BIG SKY VISTAS (hence the title ;-)

I'm digging that cloud, and I love how the shadows move across the distant mesas. AndI just have to say I love the colors and juiciness of the paint in the foreground. Getting the values (lights and darks) just right in the foreground of a painting can be a real struggle, so I'm pleased as punch that in this painting I nailed it!

Find more details about this painting via my online gallery shop on Etsy here.