new mexico sky musing, no. 1 ~ my soul expands

 

New Mexico Sky Musing Number 1 - My Soul Expands, contemporary abstract New Mexico landscape painting by Santa Fe artist Dawn Chandler

new mexico sky musing, no. 1 ~ my soul expands

 

This is the very first of the series. As I’ve mentioned, most of the paintings in this series New Mexico-inspired creations of my Muse, and not of specific locations. This one though is an exception, inspired by the view from my friend’s house out on Taos Mesa. Sitting in one of her rocking chairs on the east portal, I love watching the dance of sunlight and shadow play across the Sangres. This late summer late afternoon the cloud dance was especially memorable, and I’ve turned to memories of it often in my paintings. As with many of my semi-abstract works, I see that calligraphy of marks across the sky as bird-like. Although this painting is untitled, of the ghosted works partly revealed in this painting, my eyes first fall upon "my soul expands," as indeed it does when out under the New Mexico sky.

See more details and perhaps even make this painting your own via my online gallery store.