cloudwalker, i

 

cloudwalker i
by dawn chandler

24" x 24" ~ mixed media on panel

private collection


The first of my Cloudwalker series of large square (24" x 24") semi-abstractions inspired by New Mexico skies which I began a couple of years ago. Originally I'd wanted to call this series Skywalker, but the connotation of StarWars was a bit too much. 

But  since for me what makes New Mexico skies so astonishing and unforgettable are the clouds, Cloudwalker ain't such a bad 2nd.

The particular sky that inspired this painting was one summer evening up in Taos. Actually, I based this painting on a much smaller and more "traditional" landscape that I'd done of the sky that evening. As I was painting this, my Muse hit me with the bold idea to add that patch of cadmium red. WHAT?! 

When my Muse comes up with a wild idea like that, it's impossible to ignore; she never steers me wrong. That shock of red makes the painting.