new mexico sky musing no. 17 ~ my spirit silently soars


New Mexico Sky Musing 17 - My Spirit Silently Soars original contemporary New Mexico landscape painting by Santa Fe artist Dawn Chandler.

new mexico sky musing n. 17 ~ my spirit silently soars
by dawn chandler

8" x 8" ~ mixed media on panel ~ private collection

An unusual palette for me. Not sure where that rosy copper came from, but I quite like it.

I can't decide whether this painting makes me think of springtime or autumn, for the palette kind of conjures both. Or maybe it's anytime and I'm gazing at it through rose-tinted glasses?

And those mountains... they could be anywhere, but for some reason I think of the Jemez Mountains when I look at this. Maybe that's because when I painted this I was in El Rito, NM with the Jemez off in the distance.... 

Reflections from a few days later..... Having just driven the Quebradas Backway Byway, suddenly this painting transports me there — to that arid red-earthed Chihuahuan desert mountain landscape down near Socorro.

It just comes back to so many of my paintings: Let it transport you to wherever you'd like to go.