new mexico sky musing no. 20 ~ raven squall

New Mexico Sky Musing 20 - Raven Squall original contemporary New Mexico landscape painting by Santa Fe artist Dawn Chandler.

new mexico sky musing no. 20 ~ raven squall
by dawn chandler

8" x 8" ~ mixed media on panel ~ private collection

A regular feature of my "semi-abstract" landscapes is a calligraphic curvy looping of paint, usually in black or dark grey. For me, these represent the movements of birds, usually ravens or crows.

Recently I realized that I don't think I ever saw a raven in my youth. That lead me to look up ravens on the All About Birds website, and, well, I guess it makes sense that I never saw them: They aren't in New Jersey.

But boy are they ever in New Mexico! So much so that it seems to me the raven should be the state bird of New Mexico. I love to see them twirl in the sky. Surely their acrobatics are an expression of joy? Certainly that's the emotion they make me feel whenever I see them.