second plein air painting of the new year ~ turn in the road at cerrillos hills

 

"Turn In the Road at Cerrillos Hills" original plein air landscape painting in oil by New Mexico artist Dawn Chandler.

turn in the road at cerrillos hills
by dawn chandler

5" x 7" ~ oil on panel ~ plein air ~ available

Ohh, this was satisfying. Did this the morning after doing my first plein air painting of the year. For this one, I was on my way home from Albuquerque to Santa Fe. Per usual I took Route 14 — the Turquoise Trail (which is soooo much better a drive than I-25). From there I pulled into Cerrillos and on into Cerrillos Hills State Park. There's just one road through the park, and along it I found a nice spot in the shade just before the first real turn in the road.  With my wee paint box in my lap, I sought to catch the mid-morning light on the hillside. Came together quickly. When I was done I got out of the car and walked up the road a spell. Such a beautiful, clear and mild winter's day.